Tuesday 7 September 2010

You MUST Spend Time With Your Father. It's Called Praying.

“I don’t know if this ever happened to you because it happens to me from time to time. I woke up this morning, jumped into the bathroom, barely had time to get dressed and rushed out of my house. I had like a thousand and one things to do. Despite all the hurry, I am still way behind my schedule yet I already skipped some very important things like the time I spend with God.

At times like this, I say to myself that the time with God will then be at night just before my normal time for intercession. More often than not, it doesn’t happen. By the time I am done with all the things I have to do, it’s my standard time for intercession.

How do you cope with this in your daily life? Do you just give up? Or do you manage to rush through that time with God religiously? Are you one of those that have your quiet time in the car whilst driving to the office? How do you manage the children so as to find some time for just you and God?

I really don’t have a formula but I know for certain that we must strive to create time for God daily. Time spent alone with God is a must for every believer who wants to build on their personal relationship with God and conversely, their faith. Though God does not kill people for not spending time with Him, our personal relationship with Him slowly dies if we don’t and eventually our faith dies also. How can we have a father so loving and we never set aside time to be with Him?

Amos 5: 6 KJV – ‘Seek the Lord and you shall live’

Psalm 69: 32B KJV – ‘and your heart shall live that seek the Lord

It’s more than just praying. It is a time to study His word, praise, worship Him and also listen out for what He may want to say. It is indeed the time when we behold His glory which allows us the opportunity to be like Him. Do you know that if you spend time alone with God, in that time God can also correct you so that you may not need a difficult experience to be transformed?

What time in the day should I seek my God - morning, afternoon or night? The entire day belongs to God and I believe that anytime we seek Him we will find Him. However, I suggest we spend time with God in the morning. In a way, we feel better prepared to face the day; empowered afresh. Also, coming from the presence of God, one starts the day with renewed joy which is found in the presence of the father. The psalmist also suggested severally that we seek Him in the morning

We have to be deliberate about setting time aside for God. If we hope to find time for Him after we have done ‘’all we should do for the day’, we will never have time leftover to give him. Guess what! Even if you sacrifice that time for other things, there is still not enough time to do everything you intended to do anyway so please give yourself that treat daily. It is your decision. Will you do it?

7 comments:

  1. I had a refreshing prayer session alone in my office early today, then just decided to read your blog and it happened to be talking about the same thing. I will begin to dedicate more time at home and early to seek God. Thank you pastor B for this nudge!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor B, Dear Pastor B!!!
    You mean that those tongue talking in the bathroom et al do not suffice,just kidding.
    There is always a longing for God in my heart, but the pressing needs of this world are not helping much, never mind that my alarm rings just as soon as i close my eyes to sleep at night,and there goes the midnight/early morning fellowship with God for that day, what i have left is some praying on the bed and tongue talking in the bathroom.
    Someone said that we must desire God/Holy Spirit just as we always desire to see and talk to a loved one and this has now become my prayer, that God will fill my heart and life with such love for Him that my day/life is not complete without communing with Him as friend to friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor B... How does one really say “thank you”.. It’s one thing we all take for granted.. we don’t thank God enough.. But even more sad is, we don’t thank his vessels either.. so let me start by saying ..THANK YOU my dear one & only Pastor B!!
    Spending time with the big G.. isnt that what we were made for..isnt that what we are called to... isnt that what we pine for? So why is it so hard..The issue is not in spending time.. but spending quality time with him and making it the biggest priority and largest & integral part of our day...worship him in morning by starting with him, honor him during day by including him in ALL decisions and praise him at nite by ending the day in him.
    I don’t know about you oh..but I find that I pay lip service to this. I want God more & more in my life I cry for him.. yet I spend more time consumed by work, marriage, children, bills (sometimes).. I was told recently that I was acting like an ungrateful person and it came home in this simply event.
    I had a full physical done this week and the nurse that took my BP was astonished at the level.. she said.. WOW I haven’t seen this level for a long time I hope you can maintain it, its best in class.. And I first said I have learnt to keep calm & not worry.. But remembered why and then said because My God holds all the keys so why worry. It’s not that I don’t worry at all, but i have come to KNOW like I KNOW that our God really does have it ALWAYS under control.. The amazing thing is that I don’t exercise or manage my diet.. God has just been merciful & full of compassion and grace.
    Back to Pastor B’s point.. I have to STOP paying lips service to this wonderful God who has done so mannnnyyyy things for me.. I MUST purpose & act out that plan and spend more time with him & for him.. You all know the saying Love is not a feeling it is an action...Pastor I will miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pastor B, as always your messages to me are always timely. Bottom line is, as you always say, "Christians are Deliberate People". I understand that i have to be deliberate about my quiet time with God. I have found that my service in His House can NEVER be a substitute for fellowship with Him. However fellowship with Him can and as a matter of fact, enhance the quality of my service. No excuses Pastor B will suffice for not spending time with GOd, not challenges, issues or life generally, they just wont suffice because the truth is, God is able to teach us as we spend time with him how to live the victorious Christian life. Another thing i have discovered is that when i dont spend that time in the morning before work and just get up and go and may be study "open Heaven's in the Office" i begin to get use to that and when my heart starts longing for true fellowship its a bit hard to get there again....that time in my life is always hard, thankfully though, God is ever so willing to take me back there. He is faithful and i purpose in my heart to be deliberate about my fellowship with God. Thank you once again Pastor Bee for another timely word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, we are 'deliberate people'. We submit ourselves to the leading of the Spirit. You know these things don't come to us easily. As P. Eskor used to say - man's default mode is flesh. We have to keep practising, excercising ourselves unto godliness. All our works inclduing works inspired by the Holy Spirit, cannot take the place of 'time with God'. God will help us and we must do our own part. All the intention in the world will not help. There is a doing that is required of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Na wa. Knowing what to do and yet not able to do it consistently!!! Need the Spirit of grace to do the doing that is required. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. A prayerless Christian is a powerless one and I NEED power to live this my life. And the more time I spend in God's presence, the better my day goes......the calmer I am, the more confident I am.....and i guess the enemy knows this too and so of course he does his best to 'steal' my time.

    And really, its all about our relationship with God. What kind of child am I if I cannot talk to my Father one on one? What kind of relationship do I have with God, my father if I ALWAYS have to hear from him via my other brothers and sisters? I dont want to feel like an illegitimate child so I have to find a way to 'visit' with my father daily. Spend time with him, talk to him AND listen to what he has to say in return.

    Thanks Pastor B!

    ReplyDelete