Monday 15 August 2011

Never Say NEVER.


I used to laugh at people who say “never say never.” I thought it was one of the silliest principles ever, not that I have changed that opinion, but I kind of understand it better. The only things that can never change are the things God says and God’s person. Do you know that every thing else is subject to change and most unpredictably? It is so bad that I can’t even trust myself.  Though I know what I never want to be, I realize that the only way I will not become that which I never want to be, is by leaning on the unchangeable God to deliver me from myself. In me, is not even enough strength to keep me from what I don’t want to be; only the grace of God can deliver me.

I have seen a number of people who thought they were one thing, upon which they put themselves forward as such: eventually they disappointed themselves and other people as well by doing all the things they had sworn they could never do thereby becoming all they said they could never be. Some such people are downright fraudulent but some actually believed in themselves instead of leaning completely on the one that fully understands the flesh and subdues flesh submitted to him. Paul said in 

Romans 7: 21-23NLT “I have discovered this principle of life-that when I do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me”

I have found that so many things change in life and so many realities affect one’s life. All of these changes affect and/or influence man so that man also begins to change- sometimes for good and sometimes for bad. No wonder they say one is a product of all that he has been through; but in truth, it doesn’t have to be so. Sometimes, you may not even know that you have changed; it may take someone else pointing it out to you. It used to surprise me greatly when “men of God” seem to alter their position concerning interpretation of the word of God. A man who in the past was known for preaching the truth suddenly begins to compromise on his position…but I realize that the snare of the enemy is well laid out.

Another reality hit me; some other men have run this race, finished their course and well too. Of course some people would like us to believe that even those we think ran the race well have “skeletons in their cupboards” but one thing I know – some people definitely ran the race well. Apart from the fact that the bible tells us that their witnesses, I know God would not set standards that are impossible to meet. Also, if He abolished the law, despite the steep price He had to pay, because nobody would have run the race of life well under the law then He must know that through Christ, we definitely can finish well. He couldn’t have given His son to die, if His death couldn’t accomplish that purpose.

Romans 3: 20 – 23NLT “For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are. But now God has shown us a way to be made right with Him…we are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.”

Our challenge is that we know our race in life, run in our lane and then get to the finishing line. Our God is a great help and coach. One who delights in the praise He gets when we finish well.

No comments:

Post a Comment