Tuesday 5 October 2010

Don't Jeopardise Your Destiny!

Lately, my pastor has been teaching on Temptation. So, I have been thinking about the subtle ways that satan tempts/lures us to destroy our destinies. Isn’t it amazing that he tempted Jesus (the son of God)? Thank God that Jesus did not rise to the bait; otherwise, I don’t know what would have happened to you and me today. Eve and subsequently, Adam fell for it and that is how man fell.

The bible says in Psalm 23 that God prepares a table before us in the presence for our enemies. The table is full of all the good things that God has promised us. So, it would be correct to suggest that a man’s destiny is not hidden from the devil who is our principal enemy. The strategies and timing to take from the table however may remain hidden from him and that is his dilemma.

The devil then goes to work making every effort to prevent us from getting to the table which translates to cutting short our destinies. The most commonly used technique of the devil is deception. It is so subtle sometimes that we miss it. He makes us think that He can help us achieve our already God given purpose and within a shorter span of time; also with seemingly less pain. The sad thing is that a lot of us do not even read our bibles enough to understand that what the devil is offering us is already ours by reason of our being sons of God and joint-heirs with Jesus.

In Gen 3: 4 & 5NLT - he said through the serpent to Eve “God knows that your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat it, and you will be like God, knowing both good and evil”

In Mathew 4: 6NLT - he said to Jesus, after showing him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory, “I will give it all to you, he said, if you will kneel down and worship me “

In I Samuel 17: 9NLT - he said through Goliath to David “choose one man to come down here and fight me! If he kills me then we will be your slaves. But if I kill him, you will be our slaves.”


In all three circumstances, he was playing games. Eve fell for his trick because she did not know that we are gods as stated in the psalms. We are also made in the image of God and have his mind so we are like Him. Jesus did not fall for the trick because He knew that as the son of God he was God’s heir to the entire world and their glory. David did not fear because he knew that the Israelites were destined to destroy and/or rule over the Philistines.

The things the devil whispers, suggests or says to you are only tempting. You can either receive or resist them. If you receive them, you may never attain to your destined heights. The bible says we should resist the devil and he will flee from us. It is with the word of God that we resist the devil. Jesus and David resisted him with the word and won.

Have you been equipped to resist him or will you allow him cut short your destiny? Do you know the mind of God for your life or will you allow yourself fall for satan’s tricks? YOU ARE DESTINED FOR GREATNESS.

5 comments:

  1. Aren't I just simply foolish. I sin and think I get away with it cos no one see or catches me. Meanwhile, I, all by myself, with my own hands, I am killing the one thing I long for....to fulfill my destiny on earth. Now, is that not the costliest payment for sin? And all because of a series of little hidden sins...

    Thanks Pastor B. I really liked this BUT it made me a little depressed and sad too. I really really really need to GET MY ACT together. At the end of the day, its not the devil's fault at all. It's mine! If I let him and by God's grace, I SHALL NOT!

    More blessings on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately the devil has been playing tricks on my mind; trying to make me see only the bad stuff that have happened in my life. And then fear started to set in and I started asking questions like, 'Will things really get better or am I just wishing?'. And in asking that and dwelling on them, I gave him some temporary victory for almost a month. And in giving him that victory I sinned against my Father who has been soooooooo good to me.

    But today, suddenly (by the mercy of God), all my morning devotion was just to say Thank You to the God who has loved me without any qualms.
    What manner of deceit the enemy threw my way to downplay all that God has done in my life and in my home. From doubt, I became ungrateful. Only God knows how far down in sin I would have gone if He didn't rescue me this morning.
    Sin is not worth it (i'm telling you!). For what? Really, for what? A counterfeit of the real deal is what it is.
    I know that God has so much to showcase through me. I just ask for the grace to be ready and worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorrow is not always a bad thing. There is Godly sorrow which leads to repentance. Indeed,the enemy does not even want us to sorrow to repentance so again he sells us conterfeit joy which is not 'joy unspeakable and full of glory'.Unlike the joy that God gives, it is short lived. When God is calling a man's attention, He may cause a lot of silence and inactivity around the man, it is a discerning man that recognises the voice of God at times like that and until one recognizes that voice, God may not speak. He may just keep calling. Remember when God wanted to speak to Samuel, he kept calling until Samuel answered.

    So,God encourages us to be sober and watchful.For the word of God to produce result, we must sorrow unto repentnce when we sin so when sin in our life makes us sad, that means God still loves us.Like DNW said - its actually my own life, my own destiny, that is in issue here. I would hate to have the peace of Jonah whilse my destiny is being upturned. God pls deliver me from myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Insightful, the fact that the devil tries to deceive us that he can give us what is already ours!

    ReplyDelete