Wednesday 2 September 2015

Lessons From The Life Of Samson

I am one of those that believe one does not have to make the same mistakes that people you know or have heard of, made. I didn’t always know this but as I got older I learnt that it is a waste of time. I realize that I could reach my goal faster if I learnt from other people’s mistakes that were slowed down by their mistakes so I don’t have to be slowed down by the same thing. When I see people younger than I am who are close to me making the same mistakes they either saw me make or I told them about, I get really frustrated. I find it so hard to believe that they actually fell into the same “ditch” after all I had told them and that is because I already know what it would cost them. I am convinced that one of the reasons we made some mistakes is so that those coming after us would not have to make them but I am also learning that if they insist on doing so, they have the right to. So, as you would have observed if you are a follower of this blog, I look at the bible characters from time to time so I can learn from their lives and avoid some mistakes they made. Samson is in focus in this blog.
 
1 Corinthians 10: 11 “These things happened to them as examples for us. They were written down to warn us who live at the end of the age.”
Samson, like Jesus and John the Baptist, is born with a definite purpose. Indeed, just like Jesus and John’s mothers, his mother was visited by an angel who announced his coming and purpose; the angel also told them what he should do or not do. Unfortunately, Samson died not fulfilling that purpose. Certainly, being chosen of God for a purpose comes with privileges but also, a price. Samson’s parents, like Jesus and John the Baptist parents, played their part well through the time he was in his mother’s womb but unlike John and Jesus, Samson failed to play his part because he did not learn discipline. He was not prepared to pay the price that greatness cost. He only wanted the privileges. He decided to do his own thing instead of the will of God. As God would usually give man a will whilst hoping that man would exercise that right of choice in His favor, God allowed Samson the right to exercise his will and despite knowing all he was meant to be, he preferred to do all his own pleasure. Nobody ever succeeds in life doing only and all, his or her own pleasure.
John 4: 34 “My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work.”
Judges 14: 2b – 3 “A young Philistine woman in Timnah caught my eye. I want to marry her. Get her to me. His father and mother objected. Isn’t there even one woman in our tribe or among all the Israelites you could marry? They asked. Why must you go to the pagan Philistines to find a wife? But Samson told his father, get her for me! She looks good to me.”
There is no doubt that God had marked him for greatness and was with him. God’s favor was certainly upon him like several other people before and after him but he was obviously so spoilt that he used it for his own gain only. Truly greatness comes with a price; a price which anyone that has not learned self-discipline cannot pay. I dare to suggest that since he was an only child at least for a long while, his parents must have thoroughly spoilt him. Even from his discussion with his father about the girl from Timnah above, it is obvious that he got whatever he wanted from them.  There is no doubt that he was self-centered. Self-centered people would sacrifice anyone and anything to have their way. Samson sacrificed even his tribe, he was sent to deliver, when they were in the way of getting what he wanted though he wanted. A self-centered person cannot attain to the heights God ordained for them. As long as God’s will suits them, they go along with it, but as soon as it begins to conflict with their will, it has to be abandoned. They are only concerned about their lives primarily and every other thing is secondary; for Samson his primary assignment became a secondary concern.
Galatians 5: 17 “The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite of what the Spirit wants. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.”
Galatians 5: 24 “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.”
Whatever a man sows, he shall truly reap. Samson pandered to his flesh so much that he reaped the benefit. If we get everything we want, we often don’t realize that we are also making the flesh stronger. It would be lacking in discipline and unable to accept being denied of anything. We think we are making ourselves happy by getting everything we desire even at the cost of other people or God’s will for our lives but we suffer the consequences; one of which is an undisciplined flesh which could cost one any and everything. It eventually cost Samson his life. He wanted a prostitute so badly that he told her the secret of his power and she shaved his hair so he lost his power and was captured. He later committed suicide. Whilst it is true that he killed more people in his death than in his life, he still died shamefully and before he was meant to die. Denying one’s self is not something one learns to do suddenly; it is a result of practice. If we cannot deny ourselves in little things and in our everyday lives, then it cannot happen suddenly when one is faced with a big issue. Self-discipline is a learned behavior. As we deny our flesh, we crucify it.

3 comments:

  1. Once Me/I becomes center and not Jesus disastrous results follow. Help us to keep you at the center of it all Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self denial is my watchword. Powerful write up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your contributions. You are so right. I also have to make self denial one of my watch words. We have to be deliberate about self denial. God bless you

    ReplyDelete