Tuesday 9 October 2012

DECISIONS!!! THEY DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF YOUR LIFE.


I wish I knew much earlier in life the strength of decisions to shape our lives; I may have made them differently. Every decision we make in life, has great impact either on our lives or the lives of others so that it is absolutely important that we count the cost before we reach a decision or even actualize it. I always thought it really smart to make decisions instantly but I have since learnt that it is sometimes okay to take reasonable time to reach your decision. Making no decision is not an option; it suggests that you are entrusting your life to other people or even circumstance but never be under pressure to reach a decision immediately.


I also believed that one could accurately figure out what a child will become when they grow up from the characteristics they display as children but I now realize that it is not quite so. I accept that we exhibit some traits that are clearly indicative of who we will become but they are often the most ignored traits. Every decision we make add up to who and what we ultimately become. I have heard parents express shock because a child turned out completely different from what they thought. I have also seen people exceling, who were not so brilliant, as they learnt to lean on God and realized that they have a bright future in Him. Such is the grace of God upon a life and the power of a decision to follow Him. 

How we end up often has little to do with anointing or how book smart one is; but has everything to do with the quality of decisions we make. Jesus Christ, despite being the son of God, was at some point faced with the ultimate decision of whether or not to continue the journey to the cross to save mankind. I thank God He looked beyond Himself, His emotional state and/or pain to make the right decision otherwise; we would live and die in sin. I am often amazed when I recall some of the basis for some of my past decisions. Flimsy things like anger, frustrations, impatience or such other silly things. I thank God I still have room for all things to work for my good as I align with God’s purpose. 

Mark 14: 36 “Abba, father, he cried out, everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”

As I get older though, I realize that I need to be more careful in making decisions since I don’t have that much time on earth for things to be turned around for my good anymore. Our lives on earth are not eternal. This then makes it compelling for us to reassess our decision making parameters; and also to be controlled enough to think things through carefully and thoroughly before we reach a decision. It is sad when mature people are too quick to speak or act. Spontaneity is more often silly as we get older. Indeed, as we think things through, we make room for the influence of the word of God so that we are then able to make decisions that facilitate the fulfillment of our destinies instead of acting in the flesh. 

Romans 12: 2 “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.”

Indeed, the more we know God, the more our minds are like His so that we then make decisions like Him. Decisions have such far reaching effects on our lives that they ultimately affect one’s end despite God’s predetermined counsel.

2 comments:

  1. This post touched my heart because God has been dealing with me about it for some time now. Often times, I feel pressure to make a decision because of others around me. I now realize that no matter how much I love those people, I can choose to not accept their counsel. I love God more and His will and approval is more important to me than others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Funmi,

    I am sorry for the delay in responding to your post. I have been so occupied with our program during which I shall be minst ministering - WOMAN CRY OUT, which holds on Saturday.

    I am glad you have realized that you should not be pressured into making decisions neither should there be made based on emotions. Emotions should help us push our decisions after we have made them; which is being passionate. I have made several stupid decisions in my life but i have made a firm decision to change.

    God bless you and give you strength to maintain this decision to make decisions carefully.

    ReplyDelete