Tuesday 30 November 2010

Being Still in God's Love.

I tell you the truth, being a child of God does not always seem like the easiest or sweetest thing but in reality it is. The love of God for us is so strong that it makes life so much easier and so much sweeter. That love fills us with a joy that is indescribable despite whatever we may be going through. It is love that fills one from deep within and makes you walk on high places and guess what! As we yield to Him, He actually lives through us.

Having said so much, I must admit that God also allows us into very difficult situations. In those situations, one just does not see a way out or an end in sight. It feels like God is really far but there is a knowing inside you that He loves you. Though these situations always eventually bring us to a better place, if we allow God bring us through them, they are tough- period! The strangest thing is when in such difficult situations, one hears the voice of God declaring the scripture in Psalm 46: 10NLT – “Be still, and know that I am God!”

I don’t know about you but for me, it is always very tough when God says to be still at times like that especially when everyone is looking and wandering why you don’t appear to be doing anything about the situation and there are several different things you could do to make it better. The truth is God is working out something at such times; something you and I can not work out. The act of stillness in itself, though tough, improves character and ultimately ensures that one comes into the ‘wealthy place or place of great abundance’ that is waiting.

Psalm 66: 10-12NIV – “for you, o God, tested us; you refined us like silver. You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs. You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance.

Now the strange thing about God is that if we need to be still and we are not being still, He makes the situation even tougher and that is because of His love for us. He can make it impossible to move even if you wanted to. One is so constrained that it is literally like being in a prison. How can one explain Him leaving Joseph in prison for so long that other people came, met him in there and also left Him there all because He was going to a place of abundance. The interesting thing is that Joseph did not even commit the offence for which he was being held and God knew. At such times, the thing to do is to learn to make the most of where you “are at” because God will not do it sooner than it should be done.

Isaiah 28: 16B KJV – “…a tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.”

It is amazing how God sometimes wants us to be totally inactive even in a world that is consistently in motion. The sun, moon, even the earth are all moving but God says ‘be still’. I have noticed that God constrains us to increase us. He soothes the pain while He is at work putting things together and also preparing us to enjoy the fullness of the coming abundance. He also reveals Himself to us at such times, in a new and deeper way. In truth, it is not as bad as it feels.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Pastor B!

    I believe God was reconfirming all the 'gentle smacks' he was giving me in the car this morning as my brain calculated various 'wise' ways to 'help God help me'. For some others, they would be OK to do but for me, he kept saying no as each idea came up. In the end, I said 'OK Lord, no stress, I shall wait for you. Show me your own way. Being still is hard especially when you have a mind that won't quit. But I am learning that doing things God's way, no matter how hard, is vital to my well being. My Peace of mind.

    Bless you some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, one of the hardest thing for me to do is "be still", particularly in my mind, oh,i like to scheme and make things work out the way I want and in my DESIRED TIME too, which is usually years ahead of anybody's. The Holy Spirit has taught and is teaching me that i need His peace (quietness, freedom from disturbance,worry & fear of .......) to guard my heart,so that in situations that i can change and those i wish i could change, but cannot), i may say like David that "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear know evil, for GOD is with me".Peace tells you God knows about it and LETS YOU LEAVE IT TO HIM.It is not denial, it is simply a gentle knowledge/assurance that "if God's brought you to it, He'll take you through it".God's love is more visible to a peaceful person,whose sight is not clouded by storms of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, one of the hardest thing for me to do is "be still", particularly in my mind, oh,i like to scheme and make things work out the way I want and in my DESIRED TIME too, which is usually years ahead of anybody's. The Holy Spirit has taught and is teaching me that i need His peace (quietness, freedom from disturbance,worry & fear of .......) to guard my heart,so that in situations that i can change and those i wish i could change, but cannot), i may say like David that "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for GOD is with me".Peace tells you God knows about it and LETS YOU LEAVE IT TO HIM.It is not denial, it is simply a gentle knowledge/assurance that "if God's brought you to it, He'll take you through it".God's love is more visible to a peaceful person,whose sight is not clouded by the storms of life.

    ReplyDelete