Tuesday 11 March 2014

“Blessings” … Do Not Describe The Way God Perceives You



I think I finally agree with my Pastor, I am a “ponderer.” He coined that word to describe me because he says I often ponder.  In the course of my recent pondering, it has become clearer to me that one can be blessed several times over, but end up in hell: that would not be our portion in the name of Jesus. I know you have heard it severally but the “blessings” do not in any way suggest that God is happy with a believer.  He can bless you over and over again yet He considers you evil and vile. He leaves you with the blessings though He sees you returning to your vomit or dirt over and over again. Please be very careful as God “blesses” you; be careful to check that He is pleased with your life. We need to keep checking our lives over and over again to confirm that God is pleased with us.

1 Kings 21: 25 “no one else so completely sold himself to what was evil in the Lord’s sight as Ahab did under the influence of his wife Jezebel.

When I think on God and Ahab, I am amazed that despite that he is declared the most evil of the kings of Israel, he ruled for several years and was “blessed” and God even paid attention to his prayers of repentance when he remembered to repent. Isn’t it amazing that even after he took Naboth’s vineyard and God sent Elijah to him with a hard word; just because he repented in sack cloth and ashes God sent Elijah back with a word of comfort?  This is beyond me. I wonder, should God have shown him mercy and punished his children instead? I think he deserved to have been punished himself; even if it was just so that other people would see and know that God was angry about what he did to Naboth and also that no one would do the same having seen the weight of God’s anger that Ahab suffered. I would have thought that punishing him would be the wise and just thing to do but it is not so with God. The ways and wisdom of God are different. Even His thoughts are far from ours.

1 Kings 21: 28 - 29 “Then another message from the Lord came to Elijah: ‘Do you see how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has done this, I will not do what I promised during his lifetime. It will happen to his sons; I will destroy his dynasty.”

Not that I understand what God was thinking but the point is this – the fact that you entered the role or God has left you in it, is not an indication that God is pleased with you; neither is God pleased with you because He forgives and gives you other chances when you repent before Him. I say these things so that we judge ourselves using correct parameters. Ultimately, those acts by themselves do not describe how God perceives you. God wants our lives to consistently give him glory. No wonder the psalmist says that it was only after he got closer to God that he understood the end of some prosperous people he had envied. As we understand God we realize that He has more than enough, including mercies which are new every morning, to give. He can choose to give whether or not one’s life pleases Him. 

Psalm 73: 16 – 17 “So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper. But what a difficult task it is! Then I went into your sanctuary, O God and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked.”

If you have been struggling with life and wondering why your expectations appear to be disappointed when God seems to be blessing the believer whose life remains a mess, you need to take your eyes off them and focus on God. If you don’t, you will only get more confused. You think you are righteous, good and just yet you are struggling, don’t worry God is not unhappy with you and has not forgotten you; life happens to both the just and unjust but God does come through and your end is settled. The fact that you have been wonderful does not suggest that everything must go according to your expectation. Please trust God as He takes you through this journey of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment