Tuesday 10 January 2012

Be still and know...

Have you ever been in one of those seasons when it appears like nothing makes sense? When all that is happening do not seem to align with anything God told you? If anything, things appear to be walking further away from all you think God ever told you. And here I am trying so hard to put everything that has been going on around me together to create a pattern so I can get some kind of interpretation but it isn’t creating a pattern. Right now, God does not appear to be making sense. I don’t see where He is going and how we are going to get to where I heard Him say I will get to, from where I am now.

I know God is God and knows everything; nothing takes Him by surprise but right now, I feel like asking – God, are you sure you have it all together? Do you truly know where everything is going and do you know how to cause it to align with your original plan? Then I remember that all things will work for my good because I love God and I am called according to His purpose. That gives me comfort for a while but then I lose grip of the scripture again and I find myself sinking into confusion again.

I don’t know if there is anyone reading this blog who is currently going through this same thing or something similar, then you would be interested in the story that I was reminded of which helped me put everything in perspective. That is the story of Joseph’s life. It is amazing how indeed the word of God tried him. Everything seemed wrong until just when it seemed like his God given dream would never come to pass.

Joseph, young man has these dreams that everyone bows to him including his parents. Then suddenly he gets sold, which makes him a slave. Then fortunately, he gets sold again to Potiphar who is high up in government and life is good. God is definitely with him and he is in charge here; Potiphar entrusts him with all he has and just maybe, maybe he starts thinking - things are beginning to walk toward his dream again. As we all know, this comes to an end and all because of no fault of his. He was wrongly accused and Potiphar believed his wife so he gets thrown into a dungeon. That sounds like the end of the world. It is not just a normal prison but a dungeon, a place reserved for the worst of criminals. 

Genesis 40: 15 “For indeed I was stolen away from the land of the Hebrews; and also I have done nothing here that they should put me into the dungeon.”

God however, is not finished yet. He apparently has His eyes in the dungeon so they send Pharaoh’s staff there too and I guess at this point all Joseph wants is out of the dungeon. His earlier dreams are probably deem in his memory now. Even Pharaoh’s butler, whom he hoped would remember to help him get out, forgot him after he got out. The suddenly Pharaoh has a dream which changed Joseph’s life for good forever; It brought Him into the fulfillment of that which God had shown Him.

One thing is certain – God’s promise is unfailing. It is amazing that to confirm the immutability of His word, God actually did swear. He did not swear because He had to convince Himself, He swore to reaffirm to us the fact that everything He says is settled. As the word goes out of His mouth, the elements go to work to put together, all that is required to birth in your life and mine, the reality of the promise. Guess what! You just “Be still and know that He is God”

5 comments:

  1. i have not blogged in 7 months because of your first paragraph. it is my life in words. thank you for this write up. it brings a small invisible smile to my face. just like joseph i dont even care about those dreams anymore...i just want out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad to know you have been blessed by this article. Please renew that hope. Not only shall you "come out of the situation," the dreams shall come to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Godistics101, this is what it means for us to be sheep n He shepherd, don't matter if He is leading you on a rocky ascent of mount 'subsidy' or just plain old nowhere/nothing good in sight, He is the good shepherd, my job as sheep is to follow His leading, knowing that He'll fight the bears, lions, oppressors etc on d way n dat I'll end up in green pastures beside still waters, soul restored. Lord help me to find you so u can take me to that place that is higher than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Amen! tough though but yes it is the best place to be

      Delete
  4. The word of God can not be broken. It is forever settled in heaven; Likewise God's promise for your life and my life will surely come to pass. It may take a while but be rest assured that it will surely be fulfilled at God's own time.

    ReplyDelete